- THE WORK
- OUR PEOPLE
- PHFI LIVE
- WORK WITH US
- CONTACT US
Giridhar R Babu
Professor and Head Lifecourse Epidemiology, PHFI
After graduation in medicine (MBBS), Giridhar began as a Junior Resident at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. Next, he worked with World Health Organization (WHO) for nearly six years, during which his efforts include stopping polio transmission in the state of Karnataka and initiation of Measles surveillance. Subsequently, he worked as research associate for Multi Centre AIDS Cohort (MACS) with Dr.Roger Detels and as Graduate Special Reader at UCLA.
Having trained in Epidemiology (MPH and PhD) from University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Giridhar’s initial work explored the association of psychosocial environment and Hypertension. He set up a birth cohort in Bengaluru with the support of Wellcome trust strategic award; and further expanded through his Wellcome Trust DBT India Alliance Intermediate fellowship. The cohort study charecterizes the parental milieu, air pollution and psychosocial environment during pregnancy and how they impact development of Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) in childhood. His future work involves promotion of positive health in pregnant women and children through culturally appropriate, evidence based interventions.
Giridhar edited the guidelines for health professionals for prevention and management of NCDs in primary health care settings of Karnataka. Giridhar serves on several committees of the state, MoHFW and Nursing Council of India. He serves on the editorial board of BMC Public Health and other international journals. He has more than 70 scientific publications in peer reviewed-journals. He worked with WHO as a consultant and contributed to reprioritization of diseases for surveillance in India. Giridhar is also a visiting professor of the Maastricht University, Netherlands.
Through research and academic fervor, Giridhar’s long-term goal is to ensure healthy populations are sustained through integrated technical and advocacy efforts. His track record in public health over two decades is a clear testimony for excellence in research, policy development and advocacy. Evidence from his research will aid in the generation of rigorous, feasible, and contextually specific interventions and in ensuring evidence-based public health policy planning and implementation.
Professional Society Memberships
Life Member, International Epidemiology Association [IEA]
Member, Society for Epidemiological Research, USA [SER]
Member, American College of Epidemiology
Life Member, Indian Public Health Association [IPHA}
Indian Medical Association [IMA]
Affiliate Positions and Memberships
1. Honorary Faculty, Department of Family Medicine of the Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Maastricht University, Netherlands.
2. Adjunct Professor, Manipal University, India
3. Coordinator, Strengthening primary care for health task force, knowledge commission, Govt. of Karnataka
4. Member, Committee for review and amendment of Karnataka Private Establishment Act, Govt. of Karnataka
5. Member, Nursing Council of India, Core group for curriculum for Nursing Health Practitioner
6. Member, NCD Core Technical Group, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India
7. 2016 Member, State level core committee for preventive of blindness and diabetic retinopathy, Govt. of Karnataka
8. Member, Technical Group, Rolling out Universal Health Coverage, Karnataka
9. Consulted to World Health Organization for Reprioritization of Diseases under India Surveillance Program
10. Member, Karnataka Knowledge Commission Taskforce on Health
11. Member, NCD Technical group, World Health Organization & CCDC, India
12. Member, Karnataka Private Establishments Act amendment, Government of Karnataka
13. Committee member, Karnataka Public Health (Act) Committee, Govt. of Karnataka
14. Led the Core committee, Action Group on National Urban Health Mission.
15. Only external member on Committee to create Public health department and cadre in the state of Karnataka.
16. Led the Core Group on developing Universal Health Coverage pilots in the state of Karnataka.
17. Advisory Committee Member of Nutrition project, Ashoka Innovators for the public, Bengaluru
18. Task Force for developing Karnataka Public Health Policy (KPHP) Karnataka Jnana Aayoga
19. Consultancy to WHO SEARO, for finalization of “Handbook on Public Health Programs at the District Level”, for South East Asia Regional Office-WHO (SEARO) to be implemented by all the SEARO countries.
20. Consultation provided to proposed Karnataka Public Health Act
21. Member, Governing Council. Karnataka State Health System Resources Centre, Bangalore.
22. Member, Executive committee of Karnataka State Health System Resources Centre, Bangalore.
23. Member, Public Health Cadre and Department reorganization, Government of Karnataka.
24. Certification of Excellence for teaching at University of California Los Angeles.
25. Member of Chartered Class, National Board of Public Health Examiners, USA.
26. Recognized by WHO-NPSP for interrupting Polio transmission in the state of Karnataka. Initiated and was founding member of Karnataka State Core Group on Routine Immunization.
Research Summary and Interests
My goal is to study how micro and macro environmental factors across the entire life course influence the development of low birth weight (LBW) and childhood obesity, as early markers of non-communicable diseases. While the Middle Incomeassociation of nutritional and psychosocial determinants of LBW and childhood obesity are assessed in a cohort funded by Wellcome Trust DBT India alliance, the effect of prenatal exposure to air pollution is evaluated with support from Department of Science & Technology, GoI. Further, we are assessing the impact of Government of Karnataka’s nutritious meal supplementation to pregnant women in reducing LBW. The results from these studies will aid in implementing evidence-based public health policy planning and implementation.
Keywords: Life course Epidemiology; Low birth weight and undernutrition; Childhood obesity; Psychosocial environment and NCDs; Air Pollution; Public healtMiddle-Income Countries.
Areas of Expertise
- Public Health Nutrition
- Mental Health
- Non-Communicable Diseases(NCDs) and Injuries
- Environmental Health
- Climate Change
- Primary Health Care
- Health Promotion
- Implementation Research
- Clinical Trials
- Impact Evaluation
- Systematic Reviews
- Health System
Other Areas of Expertise
- Technical Advisor