Preet K. Dhillon is an Epidemiologist with an interest in cancer, nutrition, obesity and chronic diseases, who received her doctoral training at the University of Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. At SANCD, she has helped lead a multi-center study on chronic disease risk factors and outcomes in rural households in Bangladesh, Chennai and Goa, and has been involved in research, mentoring and teaching on various research projects and proposals. Previously, she worked on the molecular and genetic epidemiology of prostate cancer as well as long-term patterns of aspirin use on prostate cancer risk and survival at the Harvard School of Public Health. She received a fellowship from the International Agency for Research on Cancer to evaluate the time trends of cervical, breast and ovarian cancer in Mumbai. Her other work includes the impact of physical activity on endometriosis, the additive effects of obesity on the risk of myocardial infarction, biases in evaluating the efficacy of PSA screening on prostate cancer mortality, and the environmental factors related to motor vehicle-pedestrian pediatric injuries. She is interested in evaluating the urban-rural divide to better understand important risk factors for chronic diseases in the Indian context as well as the interplay of environmental and genetic risk factors and their unique impact on chronic diseases in children and adults in India. She has research and management experience from academic institutions, cancer centers, international cancer registries and health maintenance organizations in the US and India.
Areas of interest:
Cancer, nutrition, obesity, urban-rural differences in chronic diseases
- Dhillon PK, Penney KL, Schumacher F, Rider JR, Sesso HD, Pollack M, Fiorentino M, Finn S, Loda M, Rifai N, Mucci LA, Giovannucci EL, Stampfer MJ, Ma J. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2011 Dec;20(12):2618-27. Epub 2011 Sep 29.
- Dhillon PK, Bray F, Yeole BB, Dixshit R, Kurkure AP, Bray F. Trends in breast, cervical and ovarian cancer incidence in Mumbai, India 1976-2000: An age-period-cohort analysis. British J Cancer. 2011 Aug 23;105(5):723-30. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2011.301. Epub 2011 Aug 9.
- Barry M*, Dhillon PK*, Stampfer MJ, Perner S, Ma J, Giovannucci E, Kurth T, Mucci LA, Rubin MA. alpha-Methylacyl-CoA racemase expression and lethal prostate cancer in the Physicians’ Health Study (PHS) and Health Professionals Follow-up Study (HPFS) cohorts, 1983-2008. Prostate. 2012 Feb;72(3):301-6. doi: 10.1002/pros.21432. Epub 2011 Jun 28. (* joint first co-authors)
- Dhillon PK, Stampfer MJ, Kenfield S, Giovannucci E. Long-term aspirin use and the risk of total, high-grade, regionally advanced and lethal prostate cancer - a prospective cohort of health professionals, 1988-2004. Int J Cancer. 2011 May 15;128(10):2444-52.
- Dhillon PK, Barry M, Stampfer MJ, Perner S, Fiorentino M, Fornari A, Ma J, Fleet J, Kurth T, Loda M, Rubin MA, Mucci LA. Aberrant cytoplasmic expression of p63 and prostate cancer mortality. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, 2009;18(2):595-600.
- Weiss NS, Dhillon PK, Etzioni RS. Case-control studies of the efficacy of cancer screening: overcoming bias from nonrandom patterns of screening. Epidemiology. 2004 Jul;15(4):409-13.
- Dhillon PK, Holt VL. Recreational physical activity & endometrioma risk. Am J Epid 2003 Jul;158(2): 156-64.
- Setia S, Villaveces A, Dhillon P, Mueller BA. Neonatal jaundice in Asian, white, and mixed-race infants. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2002 Mar;156(3):276-9.
- Dhillon PK, Farrow DC, Vaughan TL, Chow WH, Risch HA, Gammon MD, Mayne ST, Stanford JL, Schoenberg JB, Ahsan H, Dubrow R, West AB, Rotterdam H, Blot WJ, Fraumeni JF Jr. Family history of cancer and risk of esophageal & gastric cancers in the United States. Int J Cancer. 2001;93(1):148-52.
- Lightstone AS, Dhillon PK, Peek-Asa C, Kraus JF. A geographic analysis of motor vehicle collisions with child pedestrians in Long Beach, California: comparing intersection and midblock incident locations. Inj Prev. 2001 Jun;7(2):155-60.